Saturday, December 7, 2013

Hoy es La Griteria

On December 7th at 6PM heard from different cathedrals and churches is “¿Quién causa tanta alegría?” (Who causes so much happiness?). The response from many people is ‘La Concepción de María’ (The conception of Mary). At that time, in cities and towns people start exploding fireworks and firecrackers. In the larger cities, including Chichigalpa, it gets so noisy that many tourists might think that a war has just started in Nicaragua. Of course, this also happens Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

Mary is the reason for ‘La Gritería’. The virgin is thanked for the miracles. It is a celebration used by people to thank the virgin for miracles and it takes place before the official day. Faithful people decorate altars in their houses in a place where they can be seen from the street. In some neighborhoods you can find more than three altars in just one block.  People visit the houses with altars and sing for gifts.  (Kind of like a mixture of Halloween and Christmas.)


This is my neighbor's altar.  There was a bowl of burned incense on the floor.

She sat just inside her gate, and handed out gifts as people came by to sing.  Although I'm certain God is not pleased with the misplaced worship of this holiday, He did use the tradition to bless me today.  When I asked Magda if I could take her picture, she gave me a gift of an oven mitt before I left.  I really needed one of those!  I'd been using thin hand towels as hot pads.  Praise the Lord for His provision!

No comments:

Post a Comment